December 2021- Issue3
Grow your knowledge of the game.
Terry 'The Uke' Sawchuck
This month, The Academy tips it's mask to Terrance Gordon Sawchuk. Born born on the 28th of December in Winnipeg, Terry played 21 seasons in the NHL with the Red Wings, Bruins, Leafs, Kings and Rangers. He won the Calder Trophy, earned the Vezina Trophy in four different seasons, was a four-time Stanley Cup champion, and was elected to the Hockey Hall of Fame the year after his final season, one of only ten players ever for whom the three year waiting period was waived. At the time of his death, Sawchuk was the all-time leader among NHL goaltenders with 447 wins and with 103 shutouts.
December 28, 1929 - May 31, 1970
Teamwork is the core of great goaltending.
Develop your own strategies.
Check out this excellent video by Nick Dahan - he talks about the 3 components of positioning along with playing rebounds properly, leaning into saves, absorbing pucks coming into your chest.
The tools you use to play goal.
Dangler or Neck Guard?
Grow your Hockey IQ
This month The netMINDer recommends Cujo: The Untold Story of My Life On and Off the Ice
In this book, Joseph tells the story of his life and career. “My goal was to help others by writing the book … And I guess my message has always been, ‘Don’t be a victim. Be victorious,’ ” Joseph said. “Like, there’s always something better around the corner. There’s always something to strive for. Failure’s a part of growing up, so just keep going. That’s the idea to get across.” This is a must read for every hockey goalie.
Attitude is everything.
"Our lives are not determined by what happens to us but how we react to what happens, not by what life brings us but the attitude we bring to life." -Wade Boggs
15 Things to help you improve your attitude:
1. Stay open to opportunities. They appear out of no where.
2. Forgive easily the limitations of others. No one of perfect.
3. Trust in the divine unfolding of life. The universe has a plan for everyone.
4. Say "yes" only when you want to.
5. Always act with a purpose.
6. Remember that integrity is the alignment of your thoughts + what you say + what you do.
7. Use your manners.
8. Be brave. Be bold. Even when you don't think you have it in you.
9. When that voice inside you tells you to listen up... Listen up. Listen good.
10. Don’t compare yourself to others.
11. Keep coming back to compassion, especially for yourself.
12. Expect the best out of every situation instead of the worst.
13. Wake up early every day. "The breeze at dawn has secrets to tell you. Don't go back to sleep." -Rumi
14. Live in the present moment.
15. Be grateful.
Mindset / Focus
Play the game.
The greatest heroic saves in sports!
Establish Your Objective.
Set your goals.
Goal Setting: A Scientific Guide to Setting and Achieving Goals
Goal setting is everywhere in our world. We set goals for our careers, our health, and our lives in general. It seems modern society is always encouraging us to think about the next milestone. However, what we don't think about enough is the science and strategy of how to accomplish your goals. That's what this guide is here to do.